Professionals header

How do you report abuse?

If someone is abusing you, or someone else, it is important to tell someone. Do this as soon as you can by calling:

  • Essex Police on 101
  • Southend Borough Council Access Team on 01702 215008
  • Ask SAL - Safeguarding Adults Helpline on 08452 66 66 63
  • Use our Reporting Abuse Form
  • Contacting the Crimestoppers Elder Abuse Reporting Line confidentially on 0800 023 7644 or via the website

Who could Abuse?

Anyone could abuse. It could be:

  • Someone in the family
  • A partner or friend
  • A neighbour
  • A member of staff
  • Another vulnerable adult
  • A stranger
  • It could be more than one person

What is Abuse?

Physical abuse

When someone hurts you - Assault, hitting, slapping, pushing, misuse of medication, restraint, inappropriate physical sanctions.

Sexual abuse

When someone touches you or makes you do things you do not like. They could make you touch them or kiss them when you do not want to.

Domestic Abuse

When someone in your household abuses you. This includes psychological, physical, sexual, financial, emotional abuse; so-called “honour” based violence and forced marriage.

Psychological abuse When someone says something to upset you - they could say you are stupid, threaten you, make you sad or hurt your feelings
Financial or material abuse When someone takes your money or things you own without asking. They might spend your money in a way you do not want
Modern Slavery When someone makes you work for them without proper payment, hours or conditions, against your will. Includes slavery, human trafficking, forced labour and domestic servitude.
Neglect and acts of omission When someone who should be looking after you, doesn’t feed you, keep you warm and safe or take you to your doctor’s when you need help
Discriminatory abuse This is when someone treats you badly because of your disability, religion, sexual orientation, or the colour of your skin
Organisational abuse This could happen in a day centre, a hospital, a care home, or your own home when either a member of staff, or another person might not give you the care you need or treat you dignity and respect.
Self neglect This is when you are not looking after your own personal hygiene, health or surroundings
Types of abuse

What might be happening

Where can abuse happen?

Abuse can happen anywhere:

  • At home
  • At a day centre, residential home or college
  • At a friend's house
  • In a hospital
  • In the street or public place

In an emergency
call 999

To report a non-urgent incident or crime to the Police
call 101

If you have concerns about a child, call Southend's Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub Plus ‘MASH+’ on 01702 215007
Select Option 1 and then either: Option 1 for professional advice; Option 2 for a specific social worker; OR Option 3 for MASH+ administration.

If you have concerns about an adult, call Southend's Access Team
01702 215008 option 1

To report concerns outside of office hours, call Emergency Duty Team
0845 606 1212