Professionals header

Information for Carers

From April 2015, adult social care will undergo a major transformation. The Care Act has introduced new rules and regulations that set out national standards for care and ensure that carers and the people they care for receive a fair deal. Alongside ensuring that no-one pays more than £72,000 for care within one year, the Act has introduced new assessment criteria to identify who requires assistance with their care, or assistance caring for someone else.

To qualify for care and support, an adult must show that they are:

  • Unable to carry out basic personal care such as washing, dressing, eating and drinking, or taking medication
  • Unable to carry out basic household maintenance such as cleaning a house, washing laundry, or preparing a meal
  • Unable to fully carry out any care responsibilities they have for a child
  • Unable to maintain family relationships without support
  • Unable to access work, training, education, or volunteering
  • Unable to access necessary services within their community

By “unable”, the legislation means that the individual:

  • Cannot complete the task without help or support
  • Is caused significant pain, distress or anxiety by completing the task without help
  • Endangers their own or other people’s safety by completing the task without help
  • Can complete the task unaided but takes significantly more time than usually expected

The Act also considers the way that the care responsibility affects the life of the carer. A carer may be entitled to assistance if:

  • They are able to provide care but will cause significant pain to themselves or the adult needing care by doing so
  • They are able to provide care but will endanger the health and safety of the carer or the person receiving care by doing so
  • They are unwilling or unable to provide some of the support the person they care for needs
  • They are unable to complete basic household tasks in their own home
  • Their physical or mental health may be compromised by providing care
  • They are unable to fully care for children they are responsible for
  • They are unable to fully care for anyone else they provide care for
  • They are unable to maintain family or other personal relationships
  • They are unable to obtain or keep employment, education, or training
  • They are unable to access necessary services in their community
  • They are unable to participate in recreational activities

If you provide care for an adult and think you qualify for assistance, you can request a Carers’ Assessment by calling 01702 215 008 or emailing with the subject line “adult social care”.

For more help and advice for carers, click here

To see what assistance is available in your area, visit SHIP

For more information on the Care Act, click here

In an emergency
call 999

To report a non-urgent incident or crime to the Police
call 101

If you have concerns about a child, call Southend's Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub Plus ‘MASH+’ on 01702 215007
Select Option 1 and then either: Option 1 for professional advice; Option 2 for a specific social worker; OR Option 3 for MASH+ administration.

If you have concerns about an adult, call Southend's Access Team
01702 215008 option 1

To report concerns outside of office hours, call Emergency Duty Team
0845 606 1212