Professionals header

Safer Recruitment

Every statutory agency that is part of a SAB – including the Police, the NHS, the Local Authority, and others – has made a commitment to safer recruitment. For partner agencies, safer recruitment affects those staff members whose duties include several specific tasks known as ‘regulated activities’. These activities are often part of working for a local authority or partner agency with adults who receive a health or social care service, such as:

  • Working in residential or sheltered accommodation, care homes, or respite care,
  • Working with adults who attend or have attended a residential special school,
  • Working with an adult in a social work capacity, including assessments for care,
  • Providing any form of healthcare, including psychotherapy or palliative care,
  • Providing first aid on behalf of an organisation, or acting as a first responder,
  • Driving a vehicle or assisting with mobility to attend care activities or appointments,
  • Supporting an adult’s independence by managing money, paying bills, or shopping,
  • Assisting or supervising an adult’s personal care, such as bathing, dressing, or eating,
  • Assisting in the conduct of an adult’s affairs, such as holding enduring power of attorney.

In order to be certain that a candidate is an appropriate person to carry out the responsibilities of their position, staff responsible for hiring must follow certain procedures:

  • Professional references are verified, and one referee should be contacted in person. Personal or character references are not considered suitable.
  • Application forms are used to take a full employment history, account for any gaps in employment, and provide evidence of qualifications.
  • Copies must be taken of documents used to establish identity and Right to Work in the UK, and must be held on file for reference.
  • The Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly Criminal Record Bureau and Independent Safeguarding Authority) is asked to search the national police database for any convictions, cautions, warnings, reprimands, or any other relevant local police information, and to disclose if the applicant has been barred from working with vulnerable groups.

In an emergency
call 999

To report a non-urgent incident or crime to the Police
call 101

If you have concerns about a child, call Southend's Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub Plus ‘MASH+’ on 01702 215007
Select Option 1 and then either: Option 1 for professional advice; Option 2 for a specific social worker; OR Option 3 for MASH+ administration.

If you have concerns about an adult, call Southend's Access Team
01702 215008 option 1

To report concerns outside of office hours, call Emergency Duty Team
0845 606 1212